I have been loving hummus recently! The obsession started with the beet pesto hummus I created for my week of Valentine’s day recipes and has now led me to this sweet potato version. Why sweet potatoes? Well, I could tell you it was a conscious choice made because sweet potatoes are incredibly nutritious. They’re packed with beta-carotene and support gut health due to high fiber contents. I could tell you that.
But really, it’s because I happened to have a container of leftover boiled sweet potatoes in the fridge and a can of chickpeas in the pantry and thought…I bet those would taste good together. The addition of some of my favorite masala spice blend was just the perfect addition to make this my new favorite filling afternoon snack.
The recipe below has only 3 steps so no excuses on trying this one! The longest portion is boiling the sweet potatoes but you can put those on the stove at any time and go about your day. I also like to keep cooked sweet potatoes in the fridge to quickly make an easy side or even a snack so, if you’re like me, this recipe just got even easier! Let me know what you think in the comments.
Spiced Sweet Potato Hummus
- 1 cup peeled, boiled sweet potatoes this is about 1 medium sweet potato boiled in salted water for about 15-20 minutes
- 1/2 can chickpeas you are also welcome to use the whole can, you just won't get as a strong a sweet potato flavor
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil you may need more to smooth out the hummus and for drizzling
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp miso paste this is optional but I love the extra flavor it provides!
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth
- While blending you may find you need more olive oil than the 1/4 cup listed – that's totally normal! Sometimes you just need a little extra to get it smooth
- To serve spread hummus on a plate or shallow bowl and drizzle olive oil on top – sometimes I garnish with sesame seeds as well. Serve with torn bread or crackers!