There’s not much to say here except this caramel sauce is so freaking easy, you’ll want to keep a jar in your fridge at all times. It has the added benefit of being vegan! This sauce is a light caramel that stays creamy, even after being in the fridge for several days or weeks.
I typically leave the caramel on the counter for just a few minutes to soften it up but this really is about a 15 minute recipe that requires no effort to use once it’s done! I would definitely consider this a basic recipe that can easily be stored to use as a base for more complex desserts. Or to drizzle on top of easy ones!
Vegan not your thing? Or you don’t want to buy special ingredients? No worries! Just sub the same amounts listed below using regular butter and heavy cream. The instructions are still the same and it will still last about four weeks in the fridge.
Creamy Vegan Caramel Sauce
- 3/4 cup vegan unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup canned coconut cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Combine butter, sugar, salt, and water in a medium saucepan and begin heating over medium heat – stirring as the butter melts down
- Eventually (in 8-10 minutes) the mixture will start to bubble – let it sit at a rolling boiling for about 5 minutes before completely removing from the heat. I like to put the saucepan on a trivet or thick hot pad on the counter
- Immediately add the coconut cream and vanilla extract and stir to thoroughly combine
- Let cool completely before pouring into a sealable container and storing in the fridge for 2-3 weeks