There has to be dozens of versions of this recipe online, because it really is that easy and popular. The Oreo truffle has been in my life since I was young, and has always remained one of my favorite treats. Does it annoy me that this is the easiest recipe in my cookie boxes but seems to impress people the most? Yes, yes it does but – hey – whatever makes the people happy right?
You only need 3 ingredients and some patience to throw these babies together. Perfect for a last minute dessert to bring to school, work, or a party. The initial truffles do need some time to chill, it can be as little as 2 hours or overnight. The chocolate also needs to set, but this happens a lot quicker than you might think. Mine have been set in as little as 30 minutes. Decorate however you like or serve plain, everyone will love them either way.
3 Ingredient Oreo Truffles
- 36 Oreo cookies The regular kind – not double stuff, this is about one package
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese
- 1 Bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Crush Oreos in food processor until fine like flour
- Cut cream cheese into 2 equal pieces – add 1st half to food processor and combine until incorporated then add the 2nd half
- Once the Oreo mixture is fully combined, begin rolling into bite sized balls and placing on a parchment lined tray
- Place tray in the freezer for at least 2 hours but overnight is also great – you want the truffles to be very cold and firm before covering in chocolate
- Once truffles are chilled begin melting chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. I typically do this in ingrements of 1 minute so I don’t burn the chocolate. You want it to be smooth and glossy.
- Coat each truffle in the chocolate. I like to use a fork, so I can balance the truffle on top then knock the fork on the side of the bowl to shake off excess chocolate. Place each truffle back on the parchment lined tray.
- If you are planning to decorate the top of your truffle with crushed Oreos or sprinkles, you need to do so right away as the chocolate will start to set on the frozen truffle. Just a quick sprinkle after each one is dipped is all you need.
- Once all the truffles are coated, place back in the freezer until set.
- It’s best to store these in the fridge or freezer due to the cream cheese but if bringing to a party to lay out, they’ll be gone long before that becomes a problem!