There are few things better than a weeknight pizza. But, so many times it’s better in theory than in practice. Usually, I see the wait time for delivery and begin questioning how badly I want it. Making it myself never really crossed my mind – for something so simple, pizza can be intimidating.
Also, by the time you wait for proofing the dough, you might as well have ordered it. This pizza only requires two hours proofing but can also be left to rise all day if you choose to make the dough before you leave for work. Otherwise, just quick assembly the dough as soon as you get home, give yourself some time to workout or unwind, and before you know it, it’s time to throw together the pizza and bake. The best part is, once the dough is done, it only takes about 30 minutes!
I’ve chosen to do a BBQ brussel pizza as that’s what I had on hand, but feel free to get creative with it!
Quick Cast Iron BBQ Pizza
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp olive oil plus more for greasing the pan
- 1 1/4 cup bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup bbq sauce
- 1/2 -1 cup shredded cheddar cheese depending on how cheesy you like it!
- 1 large shallot chopped into thin rounds
- 1/2 cup shredded or chopped brussel sprout leaves
- Dissolve yeast into the water – once bubbly add in olive oil and mix well
- Add flour and salt into a bowl then stir in yeast mixture until well combined
- Cover bowl with cling film and let rise in a warm spot (I use the oven set to bread proof) for 1-2 hours until doubled in size – if you're making before work and leaving to proof then don't turn the oven on, just put the covered bowl somewhere cozy
- While the dough is proofing, you can prep your toppings. In this case, I chopped my brussel sprouts and thinly chopped my shallots
- Once the dough is doubled in size, grease your cast iron with olive oil on the bottom and all around the sides then punch down the down and slide into the skillet and preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Spread the dough evenly all along the bottom of the skillet and add your toppings – be sure to evenly spread your sauce as well! Since this is a pan pizza, you can spread the toppings all the way to the edges.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until the edges are crispy – cut and serve while hot!