My sweet tooth comes and goes but I will almost never say no to a cookie. I’m partial to soft baked cookies right after the come out of the oven, when the inside is still warm. Bonus points if you pair it with ice cream. Now, considering my favorite ice cream flavor is cookies and cream, it should come as no surprise that I’d hack a chocolate chip cookie recipe to include oreos!
This is my all time favorite basic chocolate chip cookie recipe that is highly requested by all my relatives and friends. My boyfriend’s dad likes them so much that I try to make them every time I see him. You can easily modify the recipe to include any flavors you like. I know I’m working on some modifications to post for you. One big difference between these cookies and other recipes is the inclusion of coconut sugar – I love the extra caramelized flavor it gives the cookies, plus it is slightly lower on the glycemic index than white sugar so you don’t experience the same sugar crash.
One last hot tip – you can freeze balls of this dough to make whenever you need a cookie fix. All you have to do is stop after step 6 and put the tray in the freezer instead of the oven. Once the dough is completely firm, transfer to a large plastic freezer bag and they can keep in the freezer for a couple months. When you’re ready to eat them, put then directly in the oven at 350 and just add a couple minutes to the original bake time. Let me know how you customize your cookies in the comments or on social media – tag me @foodandwhines!
Oreo Chip Cookies
- 2.5 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 Tsp sea salt
- 1 Stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 Cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 Cup packed coconut sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 1.5 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup chocolate chips
- 1 Cup crushed Oreo cookies leave some larger chunks when you crush them
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with a rack placed in the center of the oven
- Beat butter and sugars in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until light and fluffy – this takes about 3-4 minutes so be patient.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla to sugar mixture then beat until blended
- Combine dry ingredients except Oreos and chocolate chips and add to sugar mixture one 1/2 cup at a time, mixing until just combined
- One flour mixture is fully incorporated, add chocolate chips and Oreos and beat at high speed for about 10 seconds, until fully dispersed throughout the mixture
- Roll large spoonfuls of the dough and place on a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet. Gently press down on the dough balls until they look like a disc – don’t press them too flat.
- Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes, until just browned on top – let cool on the sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough.