I got to a point in my life where you couldn’t open the freezer without seeing at least one pint of Ben and Jerry’s and, if you opened it, you would likely see huge holes where I dug out cookies or cookie dough chunks. I finally gave up just wasting ice cream and decided to make my own tailored to my need to jam pack cookies and cream ice cream with Oreos.
When conjuring this ice cream recipe, I started with the classic base recipe from Columbus staple – Jeni’s. From there it was a matter of choosing my flavors and figuring out just how many cookies I could jam in. I found out the coffee in the ice cream pairs insanely well with Oreos so, if I’m being honest, this is pretty much the main ice cream I make. I just can’t get enough!
I swear by my Cuisinart ice cream maker. It was pretty affordable and it’s super simple to use and clean. It’s a no frills machine for sure but it gets the job done for simple ice cream recipes!
Coffee Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp mascarpone cheese or cream cheese
- 3 tbsp ground instant coffee
- 3 – 4 cups chopped Oreo cookies
- In a bowl, stir together 1⁄4 cup milk and the cornstarch; set slurry aside.
- In a 4-qt. saucepan, whisk together remaining milk and the cream, sugar, syrup, and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- After cooking for 4 minutes; stir in slurry. Return to a boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Place cheese in a bowl and pour in 1⁄4 cup hot milk mixture; whisk until smooth. Then whisk in the rest of the milk.
- Pour mixture into a plastic bag; seal, and submerge in a bowl of ice water until chilled.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker; process according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer ice cream to a storage container and freeze until set.