If you’re anything like me then cheese is probably one of your favorite food groups butttt if you’re also like me then you start to feel sick if you eat too much. The key word here is moderation, even if all I want to eat is cheese all day every day. That’s where this beauty of a mac and cheese comes in…you get all the rich goodness without the cheese hangover. You can even make this vegan!
This is one of my favorite sides to serve on Thanksgiving because it’s easy to make ahead so all you have to do on the day is heat it up in the oven. It’s even perfect on its own for dinner and pairs nicely with a large glass of red wine and a movie marathon. Or ya know…a roast chicken…whatever fits your style 😉
For a vegan option and make ahead instructions, check out my notes below the recipe. As always, enjoy and let me know what you think in the comments.
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 small shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère
- 1/4 cup shredded Pecorino romano
- 1 lb cooked rotini pasta
- Cut the butternut squash in half, then scoop out the seeds and cut off the outer skin. Dice up into cubes along with chopping the onion and shallot then mince the garlic.
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the onion, shallot, and bay leaf until translucent, add garlic and cook on medium low until golden, stirring frequently. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in butternut squash then pour the stock into the pot. Bring to a boil and cook until tender.
- Drain squash, reserving 1/2 cup broth. Remove the bay leaves and transfer squash mixture to the blender. Add the milk, nutmeg, and reserved broth and puree until completely smooth and creamy. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Pour the pureed sauce over the cooked pasta and add the cheese. Stir to melt the cheese; if needed add milk to adjust consistency then transfer to a greased baking dish.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes and enjoy!