I love the story behind these muffins because if it wasn’t for one of my most extra, wonderful friends, they wouldn’t exist at all. So picture it…it’s the height of COVID lockdown…I am whipping out new baked goods everyday…most of which are vegan and GF since eggs, butter, and regular flour are impossible to find. Eventually, I run out of ideas so I turn to Instagram. I posted an interactive story asking for requests and sure enough Erica responds with a litany of requests all to be jammed into one little muffin.
So once again I dove into the world of things to make with bananas that weren’t straight up bread and holy c*ap these were phenomenal!! I had to start giving them away to avoid entering a muffin coma, I was eating so many. My biggest piece of advice is to mix in the coconut sugar immediately – it clumps so quickly and so bad, it’s hard to salvage a recipe once it does.
If you try them yourself – let me know what you think in the comments!
Vegan Maple Banana Oat Cinnamon Chip Muffins
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2-3 ripe bananas)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 "replacement" eggs (I use Bob's Red Mill brand)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 3/4 cup Bob's Red Mill 1:1 GF flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup cinnamon chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line a 12-muffin pan with muffin liners OR spray a silicon pan with baking spray
- Mash bananas in a bowl until smooth, this should be about 1 cup – remove any excess
- Add all other wet ingredients to bowl and stir IMMEDIATELY – coconut sugar tends to clump and the coconut oil will solidify if you don’t incorporate ASAP
- Add remaining dry ingredients until just incorporated and finish by folding in the oats and cinnamon chips
- Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, evenly distribute batter into the pan – there should be enough to fill each cup to the top, after they’re full I sprinkled mine with oats
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until muffins are firm and tops are golden
- Allow to cool on a rack for about an hour (or 30 minutes if you want a warm one!) and enjoy!!